Saturday, October 20, 2007

E-mail is for Old People (and other technology truths)

A 2005 report from the Pew Internet and American Life Project called "Teens and Technology" found that teenagers prefer new technology, like instant messaging or text messaging, for talking to friends and use e-mail to communicate with "old people."

"Teens who participated in focus groups for this study said that they view email as something you use to talk to “old people,” institutions, or to send complex instructions to large groups. When it comes to casual written conversation, particularly when talking with friends, online instant messaging is clearly the mode of choice for today’s online teens."

Yes, that's right. Teens choose to communicate via instant messaging, text messaging, and social networking sites way before e-mail.

When I read that study, I felt "old." I'm 25 and I do instant message. I occasionally text message. I had a Facebook account, but I deactivated it. I still probably use e-mail communication the most.

I really need to stay on my toes. I don't want to lose touch with Generation Z (anyone born between 2001-2041)...that's my daughter's generation. I wonder how she will communicate with her friends 10 years from now.

No comments: