Friday, March 9, 2007

Customizable Degrees

It's unfortunate that I can't customize a degree to meet my career interests. In an ideal world, I would concentrate on communication and then throw in some business, public relations, debate, and public speaking courses. I'd include some classes in media, technology, marketing, family studies, and health. Finally, I'd add in a foreign language - perhaps two.

I actually would not be surprised if this becomes the new "way" for higher education institutions - interdisciplinary and personally customized degree plans. After all, such a format benefits both the student and the future employer (and, ultimately, society) because the outcome is a well-rounded student who is motivated enough to create their own path and passionate enough to pursue it.

No comments: