Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Best Movie I Saw Last Year (this may come as a shocker)

Last night, my husband and I watched High School Musical, starring Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens. I checked it out from the library and we decided to watch it rather reluctantly. We were expecting something exceptionally corny since it's the favorite movie of our 9-year-old next door neighbor and almost every kid that we know (from elementary to high school).

But that is precisely why we decided to watch it. Who can ignore a TV movie that has been seen by nearly 200 million viewers worldwide?

We were pleasantly surprised by the energy, the innocence, the vivacity, and the the positivity of the film. Sure, the song numbers were a bit cheesy and the storyline was predictable. BUT the songs were catchy, the choreography was mesmerising, and the casting was exceptional. AND, even more importantly, the themes of the film were universal and uplifting...try new things, have the courage to do something outside of the status quo, say you're sorry when you mess up, show kindness, I could go on.

The film so perfectly captures the essence of what high school should be - fresh, innocent, fun, full of friends and new experiences. It also successfully and ingeniously portrays the budding romance between Troy and Gabriella as being beautifully awkward and wholesome.

Noticeably absent were bad language, violence, and sexuality (implied or explicit).

Although I genuinely enjoyed watching the film, I couldn't help but think about what made this movie a blockbuster hit. Tweens and teens everywhere don't unite on most movie preferences, but this one was different.

I think the reason lies in a desire that every tween and teen has, but one they can't always express. To have a high school experience that is devoid of the clutter of broken homes, bitter and oversexualized relationships, and pressure to "stick to the status quo." To have a high school experience that is young, fun, and free - one where a budding romance might occur, the kind where a kiss on the cheek is about as far as physicality goes.

Whatever the reasons, I'm proud to join the adoring fans and I will gladly chime in with my 9-year-old neighbor to say, "I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched this with my 8-year-old and thought it was great for all the reasons you mentioned. And the fact that Zac Efron is a total cutie ;-)