Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tools to Make Getting Involved in the Political Process Less Complicated

I like politics. I like learning about the issues, debating the big topics of the hour, and rooting for candidates that espouse my core beliefs. But I don't like how complicated the whole process is.

For example, it is embarrassingly overwhelming to find out (a) who my local representatives are and (b) where they (and other national politicians) stand on various issues.

Yesterday, I searched long and hard for a few places to go to de-complicate the whole thing. And I came across a few very helpful sites.

Exhibit A: For all you Southern Arizonans, you can log on to the Pima County Recorder's Office website, click on "Polling/Voter Info", enter your address, and find out your legislative district and your congressional district. Plus, the site will list any upcoming elections for your "zone."

Exhibit B: Go to Project Vote Smart, enter your 9-digit zip code, and you'll find a list of all your officials/representatives (with links to their websites). Nice and easy.

Exhibit C: Take the VoteMatch Quiz. Enter your opinion on various issues and your results will be compared to a group of your choosing (try 2008 presidential candidates for starters).

No comments: