Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dry Clean Only

Why is it that so many women's clothing items have to be "dry clean only"? I am always disheartened when I see that small text on the tag after I return home from a productive shopping trip.

I, of course, will never take the item to a dry cleaner. Nor will I return it. It's possible that I might use one of the home-based systems like Dryel. More likely, however, I will wash the item in a warm/cold wash with my other clothes and there's a 95% chance it will turn out just fine.

Without even venturing into the environmental side of things, I can make a somewhat reasonable argument against dry cleaning. It costs time and it costs money - two things I want to save and spend with care.

Plus, dry cleaning is old-fashioned. When was the last time you saw a dry cleaning establishment full of 25-year-olds? That said, I would be shocked if a large portion of the dry cleaning business doesn't go under with the advent of the Millenial generation near at hand. Now, if only the clothes manufacturers would catch on.

No comments: